Saturday, January 2, 2010

"Peace On Earth, Goodwill Toward Men"

Happy 2010!


I hope everyone had a great Christmas and a safe and great New Year! We sure did. Very relaxing and mellow.


This holiday season has given us lots of weekend time to goof off and go junking, one of my favorite things to do. Today was the first 50% off Saturday of 2010 at the Goodwill stores out here in AZ. Mark and I went out to the Apache Junction store yesterday just for the heck of it, not looking for anything special.


I came across a chair I sort of liked, but they were asking 80 bucks for it and I really wasn't THAT interested. I can get lots of JUNK for $80. I have sort of a thing I do when I junk shop. If I love it, I grab it right up. If I'm not sure about something, I will walk away and if I remember it before I leave the store I will go have another look. It may be yes buy it or Naaa not interested. Sometimes I get home and can't stop thinking about something. Well last night I remembered today was 50% off Saturday and I couldn't stop thinking about that stupid Goodwill chair. I could see having that chair for 40 smackers!



So I asked Mark if he would take me back to Goodwill in the morning for the half off chair. I don't think he was interested in any chair from Goodwill but I really needed his help. One, I needed him to help me get the chair out of the store and into the truck. I could have gotten one of the workers there to help but that takes so long. The second reason I needed Mark to go with me was to run interference. You see on the morning of the 50% off Saturday at Goodwill, it is Bedlam!



I tell Mark it is an 8:00 a.m. opening this morning. We got over there about a hour to soon, however there were already a couple people lined up at the door. Mark gets out of the truck and goes up to the doors to check the time for me. He comes back to inform me 9:00 a.m. is when they open and he has already had words with someone. "What?"(it could be a record for him) I guess one of the three people standing at the door told Mark to get lost, they don't open until 9:00 and HE was in line first and was going to get whatever it was Mark was there for. Which Mark responded with a "Fudge You!" (only he didn't say Fudge) He makes friends everywhere he goes.



We went to kill some time at Micky D's in A.J. i.e. have coffee with all the snowbirds. Ten till 9:00 we are back at Goodwill and now there is a BIG line at the double doors. But there is a second set of double doors (the exit) and there is one lady sort of standing over there. I decide I'm going in those doors, screw that big line. There is no "line" rule at the Goodwill as far as I know. Mark is tagging along behind me. My personal Goodwill rule is don't make friends in line when you are getting a sweet deal at Goodwill. This is WAR people. First person to the best junk wins!



The next thing I know is there is this huge dude walking up to me and this other woman. We are talking over 300 lbs. I'm thinking, CRAP what does he want! He asks me what it is I'm there for. I reply, "Oh just some clothes." I mean he is definitely not my size so no confrontation here. He says he has been there since 7:30 a.m. and he was there for the sectional couch and he is not leaving without it. My hopes were that he was not lying like I was.



Meanwhile, Mark was in the background sipping his coffee and deciding what he was going to have to do if this guy gives me any trouble getting in the doors. Oh and he was making friends with all the old ladies from Minnesota now in line behind me and the big guy.



The doors finally open and I make it in behind the woman in front of me, but in front of everyone else, big guy included. I mean she was there first and I didn't want to be rude. That's Mark's job. I made a beeline to the chair and it is mine! Other than some guy in the checkout line with two bikes trying to cut in front of me (Mark gave him the business), the purchase was a success. No one was harmed during the purchase of my chair. I heard many complements about the lovely chair as we hauled the sucker across the store and out the doors.


So here is my first Goodwill deal of 2010. Drum roll please...................................................................

TaDa!



I gotta say I'm pretty happy with it. I cleaned it, used the AMAZING Steve Henry enzyme cleaner all over it and dried it in the sun all day. It is going to look really cute in my Girley guestroom. Now I have to take the bedroom door off the hinges to get it in the room. Sort of a lot of work for a $40 chair. Oh well, Mark won't mind.



Good luck with your sweet deals this 2010!


All my best,


Les ;)

1 comment:

Kim_C said...

I'd say for fourty bucks, it was an awesome deal, it looks great. I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around Mark having a confrontation, it just doesn't sound like him (lol :D).